Monday 19 November 2012

Early Leave


Men and women hurry to the city market

where the sellers and buyers are busy
in business while I have my early leave
in middle of the day, in middle of my work.

No more loud or lousy words from me
for that is for me my Master's will
and hence I deal in whispers, murmurings

of heart, my speech and song into eternity.

Since I spent too many hours in the strife

let the flowers now bloom in my garden.
Though it is too early for blossoms to open
let the midday bees strike their idle hum.

Beyond that hectic strife of the good and the evil
it is now the pleasure of my playmate of the empty
days to draw my heart towards him, for I know not
why this sudden call and to what useless state.

Adopted from Tagore’s Gitanjali, poem 89

Henry Victor          19.11.2012

No comments:

Post a Comment